miércoles, 2 de septiembre de 2009

Education.

My high school experience wasn't bad, but there's lot of things that I've would change, starting on the segregation system. My school was very small, so in third year of high school, everyone had to choose two subjects of widespread curriculum and one of art subjects. The three subjects that had most of the votes were chosen for the whole course. This system works this way because the school didn't have the money to afford two teachers at the same time.

In my case, my classmates chose specialty maths, specialty biology and plastic arts. I've always preffered the humanistic subjects so I was very lost out for this decision. The only subject I liked was plastic arts, and it was one of my favourites, with history, english and language, because we could choose lot of specialtys, like dance, theater, photography, slide-work, painting, etcetera. I chose photography and I learnt a lot in this subject, starting in laboratory issues -like working with red lights, chemical substances and all that stuff- and ending in digital retouches. I think this was one of the subjects that included the most the technological issue to the everyday classroom work. Also, the teacher was exceptional. She is a highly gifted person -no kidding-, she knew art history and theory, she manage deeply every kind of art that she offer to specialize with and she knew a little bit of every subject... we could ask her for anything and she had a thuthful and accurate answer.

It's a shame I can't write like this about other teachers I had. People like her are exceptional and founding teachers dedicated and happy with what they do it's very hard.

I think that the influence of her and my history teacher was very important to make my decision when I finish high school. My school don't have a good level educationally speaking, but it's very recognized by the importance of moral and value field, so I think this is the principal issue that determinates the choices of every girl that graduates from my school. Isn't casual that the majority of the graduates study pedagogy, social work or law, all of this professions involve high level of values and social conscience.

I think my ideas in the way to improve education doesn't contribute anything new to the varied range of ideas and posibilities that the educational world have proposed already, and students specially. The usual stuff: centralize administration, taking away the manage of town councils; stop and eradicate private education; make public all kind of education, specially superior one; improve the quality of pedagogies colleges; incentivate good students for being teachers, etcetera. In this line, I think the responsability of everyone's own education is shared. A big part of the responsability belongs to the educational authorities -ministry, goverment, town councils, schools- and also a big part belongs to families and students themselves. There are people that graduates from very bad qualified schools , but they can sort selection tests very well and they can obtain scholarships, but this cases are very rare. The educational system is working wrong and all social world have to make something to make it right.

I don't know the meaning of the saying "when the student is ready the teacher appears", but I think it's related to the responsability that every student has in order to care about what he or she learn and how he or she does it. When the student accept the responsabilities and take part of its own education, the teacher can do its work.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario